Sunday, August 17, 2008

Olympic overload? Not yet.

I cannot seem to get enough of the Olympics this time around. I've turned into a huge Michael Phelps phan (tee hee), and really, who isn't? I've been watching pretty much anything Olympic-related since last Friday, starting with the amazing opening ceremonies to an equestrian event today. I even watched a little fencing. I think of all the Olympic years in my lifetime, this is the year I've watched most. I don't know if it's because of Michael Phelps or because I've just never really devoted enough time to sit down and watch these world champion athletes compete, but I'm so glad I'm doing it now.

Last night I watched the women's marathon, and boy, was that inspiring. I've never wanted to go for a run more than while I was watching those phenomenal women. Even though the American woman (who was the hopeful to win the gold) had to drop out early in the race because of a foot injury (which was heartbreaking to watch, by the way), it was amazing to watch the Romanian woman who won the gold break away from the rest of the pack and be so far ahead of everyone that you couldn't see her competitors behind her. Incredible.

These people also inspire me to keep going with my own training. By no means am I trying to be an Olympian, but I am trying to improve and become a better runner.

And, there's still 7 more days of inspiration left to watch. Woo hoo!

0 comments: