Friday, August 1, 2008

Interesting and kind of sad.

I found this article tonight and it struck a chord. It's so true! I really wish I didn't hate the camera so much, but I just can't stand to see all my imperfections. I always scrutinize my image way too much.

You never see men looking at themselves in a photo the way women do after it's taken. I noticed when we went on vacation that after a picture was taken, most of us girls wanted to see it right away and make sure it was up to our standards.

It's really too bad that most women think they take terrible pictures, when in fact, most of us take pretty good pictures. As far as I'm concerned, I do have several really bad pictures of me that I wish I could burn, but my mom won't let me. Any of the ones that were taken around the time I was 12 or 13 can easily be erased and I would be fine with it. In fact, I would delight in it. No one needs to see what puberty did to my hair or skin. It does not need to be a permanent record.

Thankfully, I don't hide from the camera as much as I used to. I still do when I don't feel quite like me or pretty enough to be captured on film. But just like most women, I need to stop worrying so much about my picture. It's really not a big deal.

But I'm sure the next time a camera comes out, I'll feel the urge to run again.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

My grandpa always took lots of pictures so I grew up with a camera in my face. I don't mind most pictures, but sometimes I wonder if that's *really* how people see me, 'cause.... dang. I'm trying to learn the art of adjusting my chin, looking down, etc. so I come across better. it works sometimes.

Anonymous said...

Similar to hearing my own voice on a recording. I don't think it sounds like me because "the voice" sounds 10 octaves below my "true voice." (Like a guys voice)

Anonymous said...

Hi Nicole! Sorry I forgot to add my name on the August 2nd, 10:28pm Comment. I'm the "Anonymous"