Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The squeaky wheel gets the grease...and helps a country.

My husband and I watched Gandhi last weekend - neither of us have seen it before, so we TiVoed it and watched it on Saturday night. All I have to say is - wow. What an amazing man. He went to incredible lengths (all non-violent) to free India from British rule. He faced an astonishing amount of adversity and opposition and fear and everything else that comes with trying to make a change. It was an incredibly powerful film and I'm still thinking about it 4 days later. He eventually succeeded but unfortunately was assasinated by a Muslim who was against a peaceful pact between the Hindus and Muslims (another issue he was trying to help the country overcome). It was such an awful way for a peaceful man's life to end.

Like everyone, I've got issues to overcome in my life, and they seem so small in comparison to what he accomplished. I wish I had even half of the bravery and courage he possessed - it would sure help me out a lot. Of course, I do have moments where I surprise myself with my courageousness, but they aren't as often as I'd like. He inspired me to push myself a little further and speak up against injustice, no matter how small it might be; to be brave when opposition is staring you right in the face and forcing you to back down.

The film also made me wonder - how am I making a difference in the lives of others? Is my existence helping mankind? (I know, I'm getting really deep here.) Thankfully, I work for an organization that saves people's lives, so I definitely feel like I'm contributing to the greater good and helping those in need. But I still think I should be doing more to help people - as I get older, I'm discovering how rewarding it really is to help others when they need it most. I don't know how I'm going to accomplish that yet, but I intend to figure it out.

So although I may never reach Gandhi level when it comes to making a difference, I can reach for my own personal goal of trying to make a difference wherever possible.

And honestly, I think that'll be enough for me.

1 comments:

Jennifer said...

Isn't it crushing (overwhelming and inspiring) what some individuals have done for the human race? I feel so insignificant. But alternately, I don't think I could handle the pressures that come with that level of leadership. Still, "doing what you can do" is my motto of the summer. And remember that it's OK to not be a world leader all the time! Even Gandhi slept. I'm pretty sure.