Friday, July 4, 2008

Change is hard.

This past week was a very challenging one. Monday was our first day in the new building, which was as chaotic as I expected it to be. We had all the typical move problems: file cabinet doors stuck, no locks or keys for anything, everyone completely lost and not knowing where anyone's office was, lost or missing boxes, etc. It was all very unsettling.

I am not a person who deals with change very easily. I thrive on routine and normalcy - I like waking up in the morning and having a pretty good idea of what's in front of me. So when everything was turned upside down on me this week (new commute, new desk, new building), I had kind of a hard time dealing with it. On top of all the other changes, we're not allowed to eat at our desks anymore and our department is about 4 degrees below zero for most of the day. And I don't have a space heater anymore. So I spent most of every day of this week freezing my behind off and being pretty miserable. Yesterday morning was almost unbearable for me - all the stress of the week came crashing down on me and I had a mini breakdown at my desk (in private, of course).


Until I heard something that made it all a little better. I heard the birds singing - something that I can now hear from my desk every day. How awesome is that?


I realized that all of this stress is temporary and that eventually, we'll all settle in and everything will get back to normal again. So I am trying to keep perspective on all of this and just remember that this is not permanent.


All of that aside, I really do like everything about our new digs. I love the fact that I sit next to a friend and that the sun shines into my area every morning. I like that I have a whiteboard built in to the wall of my cubicle (there's a vacation countdown on it right now). I like that I can park my car right next to the window where my desk is. And most of all, I love that I'm getting to interact with more people than ever before, which means I'm becoming more visible and that makes me happy.


So although change is hard, sometimes it's for the best. And in this case, I think it will be.


1 comments:

Jennifer said...

This too shall pass.