Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Adventures in baking!


One of my co-workers celebrates a birthday this week, and when I asked her what kind of cake I should make, she said her favorite was strawberry cake (not strawberry SHORTcake, but strawberry cake). I've never made that before, so I looked around online and found this recipe on the Betty Crocker website. I didn't take any pictures of the finished product this time (which I should have!), but it turned out very well: almost exactly like the picture! All I did was add a box of strawberry Jell-O to a white cake mix, and presto! Strawberry cake. It was delicious, especially with the homemade whipped cream/cream cheese frosting. Yum!

I had an idea for a future cake after making it: wouldn't it be delicious to add a box of raspberry Jell-O to a white cake mix and frost it with chocolate frosting?? That will be my next cake for sure.

And, another thing worth mentioning: baking makes me happy. I love to make sweets that make the whole house smell like a bakery. I like that people feel happy when they eat what I've created. I love how precise baking is. I love that it makes me feel confident. I wasn't in the best of moods last night, but once I was finished making everything, I felt so much better. Much cheaper than therapy, no?

The next item to try is a recipe for thick and chewy chocolate chip cookies. Can't wait to try them!

1 comments:

Jennifer said...

Did you know that there are strawberry cake mixes? they can be hard to find but are very yummy.

Chocolate chewy cookies? Sounds good to me.