Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Eight years already?

Eight years ago yesterday, Rob and I officially became Mr. and Mrs. The weather was very similar to today's: it was chilly in the morning, really warm in the afternoon and then chilly again that night. I remember most every detail about that day and the night before as if it happened yesterday. I remember sleeping in my bed at home for the last time with my cat Smokey sleeping next to me, knowing that this would be the last time she would curl up with me at night. I remember groggily waking up at 6:30 the next morning, forcing myself to eat something (I can't eat when I'm nervous). My mom gave me a card before I left the house to get my hair done, and that's when the first round of tears started. I managed to compose myself long enough to go get my hair done in Folsom, drive back to Elk Grove to get my make up done (where I had my eyebrows plucked for the first time), and drive back to my mom's house. 3 hours after all of that, I walked down the aisle with my dad. And when I saw Rob standing at the end of it with tears pouring down his face, I lost all composure and turned into a blubbering mess. The pictures are actually kind of funny - it really looks like I'm extremely sad and not happy AT ALL.

I remember my nose running uncontrollably at the altar (thank goodness for the one tissue I had crumpled in my hand). I remember barely speaking my vows to Rob because I was so nervous in front of 210 people. And I remember the moment when it became official: how excited we both were that our life together was just beginning.

It was a pretty fantastic day, one that we'll never forget. I'm so grateful for these last eight years, for the good times and the bad and everything in between.

Let's hope we've got 100 more left!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary Nicole and Rob! Alex and I were there with you on your wedding day. It was beautiful! Wishing you both continued happiness and fun times ahead!

Jennifer said...

How time flies! Congrats to you and R. I hope you have special plans to celebrate!