Saturday, September 27, 2008

High fructose corn syrup is apparently good for you now.

Have any of you seen the ad campaign that the Corn Refiners Association has been running recently? There have been a couple of commercials, one in which a guy and a girl are sitting on a blanket in a park and the girl is trying to give her boyfriend a popsicle, but he won't eat it because he says it has HFCS in it, and then she says it's fine in moderation and nutritionally is the same as sugar and honey.

There is also this ad in magazines:















Why is it that WOMEN are the ones convincing everyone that this nasty processed stuff is OK to eat? Don't men talk to each other about these things? Why aren't THEY telling people to eat more of this stuff?

The other thing that bugs me about this is the fact that there is corn in almost ALL processed foods. So if you're eating that kind of food on a daily basis, you're eating it every day. So why are they trying to convince people that it's OK in moderation when most people are eating it more than they should, and not even on purpose? I'm pretty sure the man in the commercial I mentioned earlier already had a bowl of corn flakes for breakfast, and probably a soda at some point, so unbeknownst to him, he's already had more than his fair share of corn products for the day. And yet, he refuses to eat the measly little popsicle because it has HFCS and that's bad for you. And the rest of the stuff you ate earlier in the day DOESN'T have that stuff in it? Hmmm....OK.

I just wish that a) women weren't always the evil and misinformed people, and b) that the CRA would just admit that the stuff is bad for you when you eat more than you should, which MOST people do. Sugar makes you want more sugar, so there's no such thing as eating it in moderation for anyone in this country, because the majority of the population doesn't do that.

There. I'm done ranting now. And I'm going to go check my cupboards for stuff that has HFCS in it. And I promise if I find any, I won't try to stuff it down your throat and tell you it's good for you.

1 comments:

Jennifer said...

I've seen these commercials, and I was all, "HUH?" I am getting so tired of the FDA wars and how they affect my choices. More and more we are trying to eat whole foods, and/or foods with recognizable ingredient lists.

And we wonder where all the cancer comes from.