Saturday, October 18, 2008

I love my co-workers.

And let me tell you why.

Back when we first moved in to our new building in June, the local chamber of commerce sent us a bunch of welcome bags with coupons for local businesses, cookies, soda can holders, etc. They probably sent us upwards of 200 of these plastic bags, all of which we intended to give to our employees. After several e-mails telling employees to please come pick one up, and after having them sit in our department in a gargantuan cardboard box for well over a month, we decided to get rid of them. So a couple of my co-workers went through the bags and took out the stuff worth keeping and threw out the rest.

One of the things in the bags were perfume/cologne samples from the perfume store in the outlet mall not far from our building. Unfortunately, the perfume samples were Paris Hilton's fragrance called "It's Just Me" with the obnoxious slogan of "When someone asks what you're wearing, simply tell them 'It's just me.'" Gag me. There must have been 100 of those cards with perfume samples, with little pictures of Paris Hilton on the front.

I got to work the next morning, and someone had set about 20 of those cards on my desk. I got a nice giggle out of them, and I thought it was a fun little way to start the day.

And then the Paris' started multiplying.

One of my co-workers cut out her head from one of the cards and taped it on the name plate of the person sitting next to her. It took her awhile to notice it, but we all died laughing in the meantime.

Then, our department printer decided to crap out, so one of our IT guys came down to fix it. To test it out, he printed, "I'm a pirate....ARGGGG!" My co-worker (whom I'll call G) took that piece of paper, taped a little cut-out of Paris Hilton to it with a speech bubble saying "That's hot!" and hung it up on the wall behind the printer.

That was over a month ago, and it's still hanging there.

Over the course of the last month, G and another co-worker I'll call M have been passing the little Paris head back and forth between their desks, hiding it in each other's cubicles in different places to see if the other person would find it and how long it would take. Since my cubicle is right next to theirs, I'd get in on the fun if one of them couldn't find it and see if I could help out. It's been a source of endless entertainment and much-needed laugh breaks.

Two weeks ago, I was at lunch reading a magazine and came across the worst perfume ad I've ever seen. Apparently, Paris has a new perfume called Fairy Dust. In this ad, she is dressed like a fairy, wings and all, "flying" in the clouds with a little slogan above her head that says "Do you believe in fairy tales?" Again, GAG.

I couldn't resist ripping it out and taking it back to my department. G was at lunch, so I hung it on her monitor with a post-it attached that said "To my number one fan, XOXO, Paris". Much laughter commenced when she returned from lunch, as you can imagine.

I went to a meeting later that afternoon and came back to my desk to find the hideous Paris fairy taped to my white board, and the slogan taped to my monitor. Again, hysterical laughter and more fun with G.

When I was out last week due to my back, I came back to my desk and found lots of little Paris' hiding all over the place. One was taped to a little stuffed cat I have on my desk. One was taped to my monitor. One was taped inside a little model of a cubicle I have on my desk. It was pretty freakin' hilarious.

And this one made me laugh the most:
















Yes, that is a picture of my husband at our wedding. With a little Paris in the corner.

G was out on Friday, so I went to town on her desk and hid all of the Paris' that were on my desk around her cubicle. And I'm going to the store tomorrow to see if I can't find a huge poster of Paris Hilton to hang behind her cubicle.

I'm so glad I work with people who are so much fun - it makes coming to work a joy.

I'm just wondering what repercussions I'll face after the poster on Monday. Whatever they are, it will be SO worth it!

1 comments:

Jennifer said...

Can you imagine doing this at your previous office?? :) I'm glad I work with people with a sense of humor, too.