Tuesday, June 24, 2008

All you need is love.

There are few things in this world that remind you of how truly wonderful life really is; things that are magical and completely rejuvenate you. I was lucky enough to have one of those experiences last weekend when Kim and Nick were married.

It was the most atypical wedding I've ever been to. Kim and Nick were married in Rainbow Orchards in Camino (which is in the Apple Hill area) - the first time I've ever been to a wedding in an orchard (which I'm sure a lot of people haven't experienced, either). They had their reception in the barn next to the orchard (again, another first), and my Uncle Norman married them (the first time for him, too). And, there was a freakish thunderstorm complete with hail and raindrops the size of pennies (thankfully during the reception when we were all inside).

This is what the barn looked like once they had completely decorated it:










It's hard to see, but there were little lights hanging from the rafters and Chinese lanterns. When it got dark, it looked positively beautiful.

But the beautiful lights paled in comparison to the way Kim looked that day. I have never seen a happier, more excited, more stunning bride walk down the aisle than when she did. She didn't shed a tear and was radiant through the whole ceremony. Kim has always looked young for her age, but on that day, she looked like a woman: so sophisticated, so elegant and so happy. I thought for sure I was going to have a hard time keeping it together, but she did so well that I didn't shed a tear for most of the day.

Until Kristie made her maid-of-honor speech.

Kristie and Kim have always been very close and always had a great time playing together when they were little. One of their favorite things to do was sing to their Cabbage Patch Kids record together, so Kristie decided to do a duet with Kim during her speech to one of the songs they used to sings as kids. It was at that point that I lost it. Instead of seeing two women up on the stage, I saw two little girls, standing in their living room in front of their parent's stereo singing their hearts out about two little Cabbage Patch Kids who were kidnapped by Cabbage Jack. Kristie and Kim's mom and Nick's mom couldn't hold it together, either. It was so incredibly sentimental and sweet, you couldn't help but be touched (and laugh, too).

There was so much love, support and happiness in the room that it warms my heart now writing about it. Kim and Nick looked so happy together that I thought their faces would break from how hard they were smiling. It was enough to bring me happiness for a long time to come. We were all sad to see the day come to an end, but so happy at how well everything had turned out and how wonderful we all felt at the end of it all. It was truly a great party, and I couldn't be happier that I was included in all of it.

Congratulations again, Kim and Nick. I love you guys so very much and am so excited for the journey you have ahead of you. May you forever have the same light in your eyes as you did that day.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Beautiful. I love orchards and Apple Hill; it must have been just lovely (in between the hail and all).

Anonymous said...

I am so glad it was a good wedding. They look very happy!!!