Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Music to my ears.

When I was in high school and college, listening to music was my biggest hobby. I loved it more than anything - it made me feel alive, happy and fulfilled. For some reason, I fell out of it for awhile and there's been a hole where it used to be. Over the last few days, I've rediscovered it again and spiritually I feel renewed. It's amazing what a difference it's made, and even more important, that the feelings I used to have when I listened to good music are coming back.

My husband and I went to Dimple last weekend and sold a lot of music for credit. I purchased the following albums:

1) Tori Amos, From the Choirgirl Hotel: I've been a Tori Amos fan since I was 16, and I don't think that will ever change. Her performance at the Crest almost 17 years ago was the first concert I ever went to, and I will always remember it (something my mom treated me to). I bought this album on tape several years ago and never got it on CD, so I'm happy to finally be able to listen to it in the 21st century.

2) Beyonce', I Am...Sasha Fierce: I'm not ashamed to admit that I really like Beyonce's music. I have all of her solo albums and I like all of them equally. This is the type of music that gets me energized in the morning and makes me feel...good. I can't put it into words, but I just know that it makes me happy. I've only listened to a couple of songs and I like what I've heard so far.

3) Ingrid Michaelson, Girls and Boys: I had heard her song "The Way I Am" several times, but I really fell in love with it when I saw Jason Mraz in Berkeley back in November. They were playing it during intermission, and I just adored it. I've been meaning to buy the CD for awhile, and when I found it at Dimple for $7.99, I couldn't resist. I haven't listened to it yet, but that will be tomorrow's album.

4) Fleet Foxes, Sun Giant: I discovered this band while I was in the car with my mom one day. She was listening to XM Radio, and I heard them and again, instantly fell in love with their sound. It's very retro and very mellow. I got their self-titled album for Christmas and I really like it, so I picked up their other album. Again, another one I'll be listening to soon.

I've also discovered several new bands (new to me) that have made me excited about music again:

  • The Pierces - two sisters with amazing voices and haunting melodies.
  • The Weepies - really mellow and great music.
  • Jaymay - I'm a sucker for female songwriters, and this woman is fantastic.
  • Bat for Lashes - one woman with a fantastic voice.
I'm so glad that music has returned to my life again - I really feel like I need it for my sanity. So with that, I'm off to go grab my iPod so I can tune in and exercise.

And I'm always looking for good recommendations, so send them my way if you have them!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I love Ingrid Michaelson! She's so quirky. It's so great you've re-discovered this joy.

Jennifer said...

Oh, and I'm also digging Esperanza Spalding, an acoustic bass player who JAMS. That girl can sing and play.