Sunday, January 18, 2009

Re-discovering an old love.

I recently started reading again after a long and unnecessary hiatus. Life has been so crazy over the last couple of years that I haven't had much time to stop what I'm doing and pick up a book. So when a co-worker lent me a few books recently, I took it as the opportunity to start reading religiously again. And boy, I'm glad I did.

Last week, I finished reading Funny in Farsi: A Memoir of Growing up Iranian in America by Firoozeh Dumas. What a wonderful book that was. So funny and warm, and so enlightening, too. I highly recommend this book to anyone who's interested in learning more about the Iranian culture.

As soon as I finished that book, I picked up A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini (he's the author of The Kite Runner, which was recently made into a movie). I'm only 60 pages into it thus far, and all I can say is: wow. This book will probably make it on to my list of all time favorites. Last week during my break, I came across one part that was so moving that I actually cried a little. It's been a long time since a book has done that to me, and all I wanted to do was keep reading. I've been taking it with me everywhere I go - while I was waiting for my Weight Watchers meeting to start yesterday, I read a few pages and hated to put it down. I'm excited to see where the book is going.

I'm not sure yet what I'll be reading next. It always makes me a little sad when I've finished reading a book - I grow somewhat attached to the story and the characters. And that's part of why I love to read so much.

I'm so glad I decided to pick up a book a couple of weeks ago. I don't think I'll ever go that long again without reading.

And if anyone has any good books to recommend, please let me know!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Wow, where to begin?

1. Jane Austen. If you've never read her, YOU MUST. Period, end of story. Try P&P or Sense and Sensibility.
2. Rosamunde Pilcher. Try Winter Solstice. If you like one of her books, you'll like them all.
3. The Thirteenth Tale, by Diane Setterfield. Weird and wonderful.
4. The Keep, by Jennifer Egan. Brilliant.
5. Anything by James Herriot.
6. A Walk in the Woods, by Bill Bryson. Hilarious.
7. How about some non-fiction? I love Deborah Tannen (communication), M. Scott Peck (metaphysics), and Elizabeth Gilbert (inspiration).

Yay for books!

Jennifer said...

Forgot to mention this yesterday, thought of it this morning...if you want to borrow any of my books, feel free! Come on over and take a look.