Sunday, June 7, 2009

Never enough time.

I went over to my grandparent's house yesterday to drop off some things and ended up visiting with them for over an hour. I haven't done that in such a long time and I could tell that it really made them happy. My grandmother (Oma) showed me some of her plants in the backyard and the green beans and cucumbers she planted along the back fence. She gave me a jar of her homemade spaghetti sauce, a container of fresh pineapple, some apple bars and some crepes to take home. We talked about all kinds of things, her and I, while we sat with my grandfather in their garage in the late afternoon sun. I told them about work and an upcoming business trip I'll be taking. Oma was excited that I get to travel and see different places.

I left feeling really happy but a little sad at the same time. My life has gotten so busy over the last few years that I really haven't sat and talked to them in quite awhile. We see each other quite often for family get togethers, but I don't go over there by myself just to visit with them as often as I should. And I really have no excuse, since they only live 15 minutes away from me. I think I've taken for granted over the years that they have always been there, and I guess I just assumed that they always will be, which is sadly not the case. My grandparents were pretty young when I was born (my grandmother 44, my grandfather 46), so I've been luckier than most in that regard. But over the last few years, time has started to take its toll, and it's made me realize that we don't have all the time in the world. Time with them now has become more important than ever.

I've made a promise to myself that I'm going to visit with them as often as I can, no matter what. The small things in my life (chores, errands, etc.) can wait - there will always be time for that. Being there for them can't wait. And I realized it yesterday. Thank goodness it was now rather than later.

0 comments: